Friday, September 30, 2016

Gratitude Friday...

Y'all, new episodes of "Call the Midwife" arrived at Netflix.  Which was perfect timing, seeing as how the lack of sugar and carbs have caused my muscles to basically give up.  Walking is a challenge.  Although, I guess it's possible the fever could be contributing to that too.  

Sigh.

So let's just all give a big ole praise hands shout out to Netflix and new episodes of midwives and 1960's London.

For the rest of this post, I'm going to be unashamedly bragging on my daughter.  If you take issue with mommas doting on their kids, just turn right round and back out of the room.  

Virtual room, clearly. 

Aubrey Kate has been named the Star Student for her class.  She'll retain the title for six full weeks.  She can pick out a picture of herself to hang in the front on the school along with something that represents her. Either something she collects or treasures.  She hasn't narrowed down her picture but for sure, she's taking her dance trophy as her item.  

That much, she is absolutely certain of.


Yesterday at a lunch with the ladies in my new bible study, we were answering questions as a get to know you thing.  My question was, "When was a time you felt joyous?"  Of course, I told them about getting pregnant with Aubrey Kate.  Not all the gory details.  Just took a long time and then we had our little girl.  

I will never forget the joy of seeing those two lines on a stick.  Hearing the nurse confirm it with our high beta number.  Which I honestly cannot even remember now.  Thank goodness for scrapbooks.  All those days following where I would put my hand on my belly and just pray and hope and dream and talk to her.


And then she was here.  All barely six pounds of her.  With her red hair and the world's smallest cry.  Then came the ear infections.  Twelve in ten months.  Ten months when none of the three of us slept through the night.  We were all so tired.  Of course, she was the most adorable baby too.  So we didn't mind the tired too much.  Just a little.


Then she just grew.  And grew and grew.  


As she grew, we started to see her personality emerge.  Both strong willed and highly sensitive.  She acutely aware of the atmosphere around her.  Kids misbehaving.  Crying babies.  Worshiping family.  She feels it all.  Immensely.  


When I pray over her every night, my goal is to fill her heart and head with life-giving words.  Words confirming who God says she is.  Beloved.  Treasured.  Creative.  Kind.  Loving.  And I end with thanking Jesus for giving her to us.  Words that she can hold on to as she, eventually, drifts off to sleep.


Aubrey Kate creates.  She feels.  She dances and sings.  She is strong.  So strong.  She will have to learn how to navigate all her sensitivities.  Both her own and those she feels of the world around her.


So that she is her class's first Star Student is wonderful.  Truly.  

But I know this, I know the One who created her.  Created her future.  Holds all of us, each molecule, together.  We exist because He says so.  Aubrey Kate is a star, not because her teacher says so.  Although, she does adore the recognition.  Aubrey Kate is a star because God says so.  

And not that my opinion is more important at all, but my daughter is a star to me too.

Bless you, precious Aubrey Kate.  Shine bright, little one.

1 comment:

  1. She is a beautiful star! So thrilled for her award at school. I could just hug her teacher😍
    Nana loves you AK 😘 😍💖

    ReplyDelete