Monday, October 3, 2016

The Year of Yes...

I wrote this in the early summer.  For some reason, I never felt right about posting it.  Of course, that's likely because my summer would get turned upside down.  But yesterday, one of AK's little classmates from last year had a birthday party.  A party we drove up one side of I-35 for an hour and back down the opposite side of I-35 for another hour.  We got to see both sides of the metroplex.  

That's not really the point.

Although, it was worth every second of travel time.  

The point is we were able to spend time with some of these precious friends I said yes to this past year.  

I've had a couple of opportunities to share this same philosophy I accepted last year.  And I'm continuing to pursue it this year.  

Saying yes to relationships.  How would the world be different if we simply did that instead of saying yes to busy or more stuff or comfortable?  

Enjoy...

The funniest thing happened to me on the way to summer.

I jazzercised.

There I was, happily texting friends, inviting them to meet us at an indoor play place the next day (because RAIN) (23 out of 31 days in May) (RAIN) and all of the sudden, I had somehow agreed to jazzercise instead.

Looking back through the conversation, I might have even ENTHUSIASTICALLY agreed to jazzercise.

What in the ACTUAL world?!?!?!

I have no real explanation.  Other than it just happened.  From a relaxing indoor play place date to jazzercise.  All in about three minutes.

Okay.  So maybe I do have a little bit of an explanation.  Honestly, I blame Jen Hatmaker.

Her parenting post about saying yes to relationships has been my motivation this past year.  If someone invited us, we went.

I spent the last four years being "monumentally unbusy."  And that served me well for those four years.  I felt undeniably called to that.  The baby and toddler years were scheduled and consistent and I was left able to manage the house, cook, budget and, yes, pray, quite a lot.

But those baby and toddler years are gone.  

And so, this past year, with both kids in school and dance classes and piano lessons, I made it a point to say YES to relationships.  The days of naps and feeding schedules and parallel playing behind.  Friends and experiences and socializing in front of us.  Those are the priority now.  And, I guess, will be for the remainder of their years with us.

Which is only 13 for one and 15 for another.

Jesus be near.

Because God is wonderful and loving and so incredibly gracious, He blessed us with friends and experiences and socializing this year.  Amazing women and their kids and it was just... joyful.

Play ground time after school?  Yes!  New small group?  Yes!  Lunch with friends during school?  Yes!  Free movie night?  Yes!  Girls night out?  Yes!  Impromptu after school snack?  Yes!  Playdates?  Yes!  Breakfast with kinder-moms?  Yes!  Birthday parties?  Yes!  Saturday lunches?  Yes!

Thus, when my friend asks me to give jazzercise a try, I said yes.

Yes!

However, that yes equaled two full days of PAIN.

Somehow, none of the other experiences equaled pain.  Thankful for THAT.

See, running is not jumping.  Nor dancing.  Nor skipping.  

Sweet mercy.

Clearly, the best thing to do was to text my friends.  "Um, ladies?  Anyone else in pain?  Because my calf muscles may never be the same." 

The other Jazzercise newbie agreed with the pain and said she was thinking an epsom salt bath was in her future.

Our Inviter, the experienced jazzerciser, she asked, "but it was fun, right?"

And neither of us answered.

Not because it wasn't.  It was.  But it was painful and, I think, for us, painful does not equal fun.  Pretty much 10 days out of 10.  

But painful does equal growth.  Right?  

"And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also glory in sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."  ~ Romans 5:2-4

Listen.  Making friends is hard work.  Helping my children make friends is hard work.  And, let's be real here, I'm a big pill to swallow.  My mouth is problem and things just tumble out ALL THE TIME.  I use sarcasm as currency.  Regardless of whether someone wants to be paid in witty comments or not.  

Of course, you can't just say yes and do nothing in return.  So we invited and asked and suggested and heck, I might have begged a time or two.  

Sometimes, people couldn't come when we invited.  

For instance, last fall, I willy-nilly set up a book club in my new neighborhood.  Five women enthusiastically agreed to come hang out with me on Tuesday nights to read and walk through Jen Hatmaker's "For the Love."  (Are you sensing a theme here?)

I was SUPER PUMPED.  I had invited.  I was being faithful to God's gift of my house and my resources and the people in my neighborhood.

Only.

No one showed up.

Y'all.

For five Tuesday nights in a row, I prepared food, set out everything with all my best white serving plates.  Might have even had a weekly theme.  Including a football night.  Because SEC.  There was homemade cheesecake and jalapeño corn dip and sweet tea and cupcakes.  

And no one but me to eat them.

You know what?  It was fine.  People are busy.  Things happen.  And I totally understand not being quite brave enough to attend a book club with basically strangers.  

If I'd been on the other end, not sure I wouldn't have come up with a good, solid five reasons for not being able to attend too.

I knew, however, I was only responsible for me and my response.  (If I had a nickel for every time I've said that line to my kids, I'd buy myself a Sonic Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper.)  (And a babysitter so I could drink it in peace.)  I wanted to be found faithful to the Holy Spirit's nudges.  Because on my own, no way I stepped out and invited new neighbors I'd never really met into my home.

Sometimes, we invite and no one comes.  But I know in my own life, an invitation just feels good.  To be invited, asked to join, wanted, that all feels good.  And so, in my year of yes, I did invite and, yes, occasionally, no one came.  And it was fine.

Though, I did much prefer the accepted invitation.  

Which brings me back to my permanently ruined calf muscles after an invitation for relaxing playtime turned into sweating and ripping muscle fibers.  

The first day after Jazzercise proved to be BAD but not nearly as bad as day two.  When I iced and rested and epsom salt bathed.  I could barely walk and let's not even discuss crossing my legs.  Heavens.

Apparently, I need more jazzercise in my life.  At the very least, more jumps and skipping and dancing.  Not sure WHEN I'm gonna brave all that again.  Calf muscles requiring three days to recover is a commitment.

Although, let's be honest here and admit, if I get text inviting me to give it another try, the answer would be YES.  

Because the year of yes?  Now turning into a life of yes!

1 comment:

  1. Love you! So thankful for all the invites you got to say yes. God is good...

    ReplyDelete