Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Promotion...

While Meme and Buddy were here, Rhys figured out how to climb out of his crib.  He was behaving at his absolute worst.  He doesn't like the word "no."  Don't know of a person alive who really just loves that word.  I mean, who embraces being denied...anything.  

But toddlers?  They really, seriously dislike it.

Rhys will say, "Sister said the word 'no' to me!"  Complete with full on lip pout and crocodile tears.

It would be sad it if weren't crazy funny.

So since he was a little out of control, he got to spend a good amount of each day in time out.

There was one episode where his flailing around kicked me.  I carried him to his room.  He refused to say "Sorry" and in our house, we say "Sorry."  Even if it was a total accident.  Took him four time outs before he would say it.  Which is out of character for him.  He generally apologizes when asked to do so.  Occasionally, even before he's asked to do so.

Really, I think he was so angry about being in time out, his anger propelled him over the side of the crib.  We took his crib bumper out a while ago.  He was attempting to use it as a stool of sorts.

Momma can't have that.

But now, he's tall enough to just climb over all on his own.

We spent the rest of the week re-directing him to his crib for sleep.  It was in no way fun.  For either of us.  Those few days just made it abundantly clear it was time for the toddler bed.  

Chris was home for like 12 minutes that following weekend.  Gave him just enough time to convert the crib.  



And there he is.

True confession:  That quilt was my attempt to make a choose for him.  Crazy Momma.  He's been sleeping with Aubrey Kate's pink fleece blanket for a while now.  A sweet co-worker from OKC gave it to her.  I actually remember the winter she started making them.  She was too cute.  Made a lot for gifts.  

Second True Confession:  I remember thinking she might have lost her mind.  Who gets that excited  about a DIY thing?  

And God laughed.  

The quilt was a gift from Aunt Linda.  Aubrey Kate sleeps with her quilt from Aunt Linda almost every night.  Sometimes she picks Minnie Mouse.  Which was also a gift from Aunt Linda.  

I was kinda hoping he would pick the quilt too.  I love it.

But he didn't.  He wanted the pink blanket.

I couldn't stand it.  For totally sad reasons, I wanted him to have...

A)  a blanket that matched his room decor

B)  his own blanket made just for him

C)  something NOT PINK.

That meant a trip to the fabric store.

I got orange and turquoise.  Clearly.  

That night, Chris and I worked to make the blanket.  I cut everything and he helped me tie.  It really was a couples effort.  

The next day, I bought a new crib sheet too.  His white ones have taken a chocolate milk beating.  And, really, I have yet to find anything that gets it out.  Even bleach didn't work.  

So his new big boy bed now fits all my sad criteria.  And he is super cute in it.


The only problem was...he wasn't really ready for the bed.  Sure, he could climb out, but emotionally, he still needed the walls.  He woke up crying in the middle of the night several nights.  One night, he opened the door and just stood in the playroom bawling.

He was scared.

There's a sermon in there.  

But, happy to report, he has settled in.  He won't even let me lay him down.  He wants me to hold him for his song and prayers but then he wan't to climb into his bed all by himself.  "I do it, Momma."  He covers himself up.  Gets his animals all situated.  Then I can kiss him before I leave.

Such a big boy.

Promoted to his big boy bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment