Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Catch-up...

(Trumpets blowing...)

MARCHING SEASON IS OVER!!!!

I know.  You probably already figured that out but I just felt the need to share it again.  

Chris arrived home and back into our lives after an 18 hour bus trip through the snow.  He crawled in he door around 10 pm.  He was sick too, of course, because eventually working 90 hours a week and running on complete fumes after four months catches up with you.

And you pay with your annual sacrifice of health.  

The last week of school was busy too but nothing like it had been.  He was only gone two nights that week.  

THAT we can handle.

We decided to stay in Texas for Thanksgiving knowing he would need some recovery time.  He was precious and thanked me this week for agreeing to stay here.  I miss being at home but his health and our family are more important.  

So he is well on the way to being back in the good graces of Health.  

I, on the other hand, caught the nastiness.

It's been one of those head colds where I've wanted to go all "Pulp Fiction" on my sinuses and pierce my face with a gigantic needle.  I'm surviving on Muscinex, Afrin and Advil.  

BUT, sickness did not stop us!  We had a full week of family togetherness!

The first day of break, Saturday, it was rainy and yucky and we made the decision to just stay in.

We paid for that decision with argumentative, fussy, unable-to-be-pleased children.

We did not make that mistake again.  The rest of the week was filled with activities.

Just for documentation sake, here are the children dressed for church in their matching turkey outfits.  


Truth be told, Rhys did not want to wear this shirt.  He wanted to wear his swimsuit.  Because he's two.  And why not.

Fortunately for him, he's super cute.

Sunday afternoon, AK and I went to a Veggie Tales in Your House party.  Veggie Tales and Netflix have joined forces and they decided hosting parties would be an awesome way to launch.  I'm a fan.

Aubrey Kate got to color and make a Veggie Tales goodie bag, eat CHEETOS (which are the pinnacle of junk food heaven) (so I hear) and watch a new Veggie Tales.  The other kids also got a Veggie Tales mask because who doesn't want to be Larry.  Or Bob, for that matter.

The answer is, Aubrey Kate, that's who.


Oh, my girl.  

Monday, I went to the gym before the rest of the house woke up and then we went to Chick-fil-a for Tot Time.  We read another "Biscuit" story and the kids got to color a picture of the Pilgrims and Native Americans.


Chris was under-whelmed with the entire thing.  He actually said, "Is that it?"  And then we stayed for two hours.  By the time we got home, we ate lunch and hit naps.  THEN it made sense.  Ahhh....

After nap, we loaded up for the Habitat for Humanity Resale Store.  We have several in the area.  Honestly, we just wanted to look around.  We've got a couple of projects planned in the house and thought we'd check out what might be available for us to use second hand.  

We were impressed.

Since I have Christmas projects to make, I had some ideas in mind for materials I could use.  For all of $1.56 I got six cabinet doors and I DIED with joy.


Tuesday was a day almost entirely to myself.  Went to the gym, did some pre-sale recon missions at the consignment store, Target, Walmart and Hobby Lobby.  Ran home, ate lunch, showered and went out for my biannual high color and cut.  

Yep.  I'm just that fancy.  Twice a year, y'all.

This time, I decided to check out one of the local cosmetology schools in town.  We have several.  I could save serious cash if I was willing to let my hair be a teaching opportunity.  

To save that much money, I am willing.

It was a good experience.  The teacher and the student were both super nice.  Took three people to do my foils because, it takes practice to be fast and they need oh so much more practice.  The color turned out the absolute best I've ever had.  The cut isn't the best but thankfully, I'm not all that fussy about hair.  

It magically grows back.  

And I spend 6 out of 7 days a week with it in a pony tail anyway.

Chris and the kids spent Tuesday working on a project for our bathroom.  More on that when it's finished this week.  It's worthy of it's own post.


Wednesday was the consignment shop half off sale.  I got there at 5:30 am and stood in the freezing cold.  Doors opened at 6 am.  Once inside, I scooped up everything I'd spotted the day before on my recon mission, and then I stood in line to PAY for an hour.  But it was totally worth it.  

After that, I hit the gym and then home where we traded off the kids while Chris went to school.

Y'all.  He had to listen to students practicing for All-State tryouts.  

Sometimes I am amazed these kids don't run screaming into the night.  How do they keep up with all this?

After nap, we went to visit our friend, Rob, at his firehouse.  Yep, he's a fireman.  

Rhys was all about being in the fire truck.  Aubrey Kate was not.  I had to get in for her to get in.  The kids got toys.  The fireman receive donated stuffed animals to give to kids in the ambulance to help them not be as scared.  So, of course, they gave my kids a couple.  I'm pretty sure they are their most prized possessions now.



Thursday was Thanksgiving.  We had some friends over.  I think this is the third year we've celebrated Thanksgiving with them.  Two out of the three were actually on Thanksgiving.  Last year, it was the weekend before but hey, that totally counts.  
This year, four out of the five kids were old enough to sit at a KIDS' TABLE.  Oh, the JOY!  




They had a blast playing with the crayons and coloring on the table.  The adults and precious six month old Hunter, sat in the dining room.  We brined the turkey and it was to die for delicious.  So if we have to be in Texas, being with friends...who are also foreigners and away from family...is a good alternative.  

Thursday night and Friday were shopping days for me.  Again, the recon work paid off.  With the exception of two family members, I am totally done shopping.  

Wrapping is another story...

Friday, after shopping, Chris had to go back to work for more All-State practice sessions.  So I had the BRILLIANT idea to take down the fall decorations and get out Christmas.  

You ever had one of those ideas as a parent where you think, "Oh, I am MOM OF THE YEAR!  The kids are gonna LOVE this!"

And then it entirely BLOWS UP in your face?!?!?!

The kids were good helping me gather the decorations.  And then playing with them.  

Packing them away...that's another story.

Once that was done, I emptied everything out of the storage closet, vacuumed and introduced the kids to A NEW PLACE TO PLAY!

Hey, look kids!  It's like an underground cave!  Or a fort!  Or a tunnel!  What can you go in there?!?!  


Yes, yes, that is my son in a pink skirt and turquoise tank top.  He loves to be like his sister.  

And really, he's super pretty in turquoise.

But what my kids decided to do in the new play space was...

...FIGHT!!!

Aubrey Kate wanted to close the door.  Rhys did not.  Aubrey Kate wanted to bring every toy in the entire known universe inside.  Rhys wanted to swing Daddy's golf club around in an empty space.  

Add to that my pounding head cold, and, well...

MOM FAIL.



Eventually, they did help us get the tree up and semi-decorated.  They were super cute in that last picture.  And I'm hopeful, I will forget the rest of the day and remember just their precious faces and the joy they had decorating.  

Saturday turned out to be a relatively normal day.  Gym for me and the kids in the morning (Chris had more audition thingys.), lunch, nap and football.  I kept decorating most of the day and, I'm proud to say, Christmas is ALMOST up.

Geez.

Today was Bass Pro for Santa.  That's another post for another day.

Because this has gotten a little out of control.

For the most part, consider yourself caught up on little life here.  

I know.  Now you feel like you can go on another day.  

Y'all are precious.

2 comments:

  1. I love the stories and the catch up of your life. We missed you all at Thanksgiving. I'm glad you got some family time and the kids got some Daddy time.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the stories coming, love it. Glad things are beginning to get settled down. Love y'all. Meme

    ReplyDelete