Friday, November 8, 2013

Gratitude Friday...

Coming to you today from Upstairs. 
 
Where silence lives.
 
The laptop sprung to life briefly this week.  And then began a slow death. 
 
Again.
 
At least this time Chris was a witness.  Now he knows what to tell the computer geeks should we ever actually take the thing in to be fixed. 
 
Or at least be given a proper diagnosis.
 
Lots to share.  It's been a busy two months.  But I can catch up later.
 
For now, let's get down to some gratitude.
 
This November is the first time in two years I have not done a gratitude post every day of the month.  Honestly, this year, November kinda came out of nowhere.  One day it was August and the next, bam, November.  I'm not even sure I realized it was November until the 2nd or the 3rd day. 
 
But I am thoroughly enjoying reading the FB thanksgiving posts.  I hope everyone keeps up with them.  30 days is a long time. 
 
These last few weeks have been so joyous for us.  I know y'all must have covered Aubrey Kate in prayer because she seems to have turned the corner. 
 
Oh, don't get me wrong.  She still argues with me about everything.  And last night she had a total meltdown because she wanted to stand next to me while I cooked.  Which I told her she could absolutely do.  But she cried anyway. 
 
But, for the most part, she is kind, helpful and sweet. 
 
Opinionated and stubborn too.  Unfortunately, I think those traits may be here to stay.
 
I have no idea where she gets it.
 
The weather has been fabulous too so we have been taking full advantage and spending almost every afternoon at a park.  We've sort of been on a tour of parks actually.  It's a win-win.  They blissfully play and run off enormous amounts of energy and my house stays relatively picked up since we're not bringing out every toy we own.  Every day. 
 
Another marching season is coming to a close.  There's one more game tonight as long, as they don't make the playoffs.  I think they've only won two games but here in Texas we really, really love football so we want to make sure as many teams get into the playoffs as possible.  Who wants the season to end, right?
 
I mean besides the wives of the band directors. 
 
And maybe the band parents. 
 
And possibly the parents of the cheerleaders and drill team. 
 
But that is not the point. 
 
Texas high school football will continue proudly on into December.  Just hopefully without us.
 
All of this sort of stirs in my heart.  Watching my kids grow and play.  Seeing my husband devote himself almost entirely to the students.  Anticipating the holidays. 
 
It's good stuff.
 
In the midst of that, we've been working our way through "Stuck" by Jennie Allen in women's bible study.  It's all about finding those areas of our lives where we are inhibited from experiencing a deeper relationship with Christ.  Things that keep us stuck instead of growing. 
 
Discontentment.  Anger.  Being overwhelmed.  Sadness. 
 
The ladies are so awesome to share their stories.  The circumstances God has lead them to and through.  Things so distant from me and my story and yet some so very familiar. 
 
As we've walked through the study, what God has been revealing to me gives me pure joy.  Brimming to the top, joy. 
 
When I look back on our story, share the details, what I see is God. 
 
Overwhelmed by a job.  But then God.
 
Alone in infertility.  But then God.
 
Discontent with my life.  But then God.
 
Saddened by my mistakes.  But then God.
 
Scared to follow a calling.  But then God.
 
Ruptured uterus.  But then God.  (Sorry, still BLOWS MY MIND.)
 
In every area, God. 
 
Above all else, my Father has been so graciously loving me this season.  Building me up.  Filling me with a patience and love and contentment that can only come from Him. 
 
I am not overwhelmed.  Not alone.  Not discontent.  Not saddened.  Not scared.
 
Because God.
 
And I believe the change started years ago when He chose to show me what a life lived out in thankfulness can be.  When He revealed my favorite idol of being extra-special, the girl who can do it all.  When He called me out of my career and into a life I literally feared.  One of service and budgets and giving the last chicken finger to Rhys. 
 
Mine is not a Damascus road experience.  It took time to get here.  Time to take small steps.  With bits of revelation. 
 
And I would not chance a single moment of the journey.
 
Honestly, I am unbelievably excited to be here.  Just here.  No idea where God will lead tomorrow.  Not a clue what He might call me to next.  Not worried about how He will use the gifts He's given me above and beyond here. 
 
I am content. 
 
And that all stared with the simple act of saying thank you to the One who gave His all.
 
Where are you on the journey?

3 comments:

  1. I love when I check in and there is a new post, it fills me up =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I'm so grateful for my family and friends! I'm thankful for all the blessing I've been given in my life. For the gift of eternal life through Christ blood and sacrifice. For Christ leading, love and joy throughout my life, in spite of me and my pride.
    Ladybug, your post are always a blessing to read. Try to sneak upstairs to blog more often.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. 'But then God.' All we ever truly need:)

    ReplyDelete