Friday, September 16, 2016

Gratitude Friday...

So, in case you don't want to look it up, I'll just go ahead and tell you, this is my first Gratitude Friday post since April 3rd.

Five and a half months.

Remember when I said these last months have been a little crazy?!?!

Clearly.

Also, my computer and my phone are still not playing well together.  Largely because it's not yet Sunday so Chris hasn't had time to fix whatever is not working.  

Possibly also he doesn't know they're not working because he hasn't read the blog.  Since April.  Like everyone else.  Because I haven't been posting and so why would anyone keep blindly checking a blog not being updated?  

Instead, I emailed myself pictures.  

Yes, from my phone.  Then opened them on the computer.  And saved them.

Sitting on the couch.  Two technologically advanced computers.  Right next to each other.  Unable to communicate.  

Where have we gone wrong?  

I decided to keep this list pretty simple this week.  Because there's no way for me to go back and list almost six months worth of stuff, I'll just start right here.

Nothing like the present.

Aubrey Kate begged...BEGGED Y'ALL...to sell a box of "World's Finest Chocolate" for her school.  They gave these kids the hard sell and my kid bought every rewarding word of it.  We committed to one box of thirty chocolate bars.  Her reward for selling one box would be a free ice cream at school.

As a family, we have managed to eat four bars ourselves.  That's eight dollars.  An ice cream sandwich at school probably cost way less.  By seven dollars.

But IT'S FINE.

The rest of the box, I suggested, we should take to Daddy's band rehearsal and sell to the band kids.  (Are they "kids" anymore?)  (What ARE college people called?)  

AK liked the idea.  

The call of free ice cream is loud, friends.  So.Loud. 

I bought a poster board and some stickers at the Dollar Store and let the kids decorate it for our upcoming sale.  

It was the best $2 I've ever spent.  

I added the word "CHOCOLATE" to the top.  After confirming how to spell the word "chocolate" so as to not have to blame the children for being poor spellers.  Mom owns that title.

Rhys enthusiastically agreed to wear his Mavericks tee-shirt.  AK refused her wear her pink Mavericks top with equal gusto.  Stinker.

So we loaded up the poster, the remaining chocolate bars, our yard sale bag of change and off we went!




This is the social media photo we I shared.  Aren't they just the cutest?

Obviously the only answer is YES.




But THIS is how Aubrey Kate looked most of the pictures.  She was happy.  Just not necessarily about having her photo taken.  Chris had to tickle her to get the smile in the previous picture.

I mean, for.the.love.  

Rhys, however...



He was FOR REALZ happy.  

It's an entire end zone of BLUE.  It's physically impossible for him to NOT be happy.

I took this one as my two men walked into the stadium for rehearsal...



STOP.  IT.

Look at Skillet carrying his little notebook just like Daddy's carrying his.  I die.  

Rhys walks with just as much force and determination as Chris.  

Plus the amount of "AWWWEEEE" from the band kids was epic.  And how could you not feel that way about Rhys?  

Although, I'm sure some of those were for AK.  She IS cute.  And she didn't frown the entire time.

We ended up selling all but six bars.  Considering we sprung this on college students who likely don't carry cash anymore than I do, I find this to be wildly successful.

Scrooge Daughter aside, I am grateful.  

Grateful for hungry college kids who buy chocolate from cute but total strangers just because.

Grateful for the Dollar Store and their plethora of cheap craft supplies.

Grateful for a precious elementary school and a PTA to sell chocolate for.

Grateful for crazy adorable kiddos who get excited and take off running when they see Daddy.

Grateful for the new job, complete with BLUE, and a group of fantastic college students who embraced not just Chris but all three of the rest of his blond, blue-eyed family.  

Grateful for the memories my kids created and will create in this new world.  A world, a space, a time where we are a FAMILY OF FOUR.  And not our Awesome Threesome.  A full family of four.  

After the years of waiting and hoping and praying for relief, we are here.  And I find my heart almost giddy at the joy of the timing.  Not when I wanted it.  Not when we begged for it.  But exactly the right moment.

1 comment: