Sunday, April 24, 2016

Well, We Survived...

I know.  I'm about a month, or three, behind on updates.  

Truth be told, I've been writing but not posting.  Processing but no revelation.  

And the kids are just being kids.  They are SUPER good at that!

So I figure the best place to start is just, well, now.  Chris was gone all weekend on the band spring trip.  When they do things every teenager dreams of doing.  Like cooking contests.  I'm not exactly sure of the prize but the kids take it very seriously.  At least according to the pictures posted on IG.  

Makes me hungry.  And also very aware of how easy it is to cook with gluten-filled stuff.

Us?  We ate really healthy this weekend.  Grilled cheese.  Hotdogs.  Pizza.  Mac n'Cheese.  You know.  The four major food groups.

I had big plans and dreams of cooking food just for myself.  I made a dinner last week that only I ate. The rest of the family said thanks but no.  Only without the thanks part.  So I was determined to cook myself things only I wanted.  Because if I'm the only one eating it anyway, might as well be some of my favorites.

Shrimp was bought.  Spicy Asian recipes pinned.  

And I cooked approximately nothing.

Seriously.

Instead, I ate the kids leftovers, granola bars and lots of cereal.  

The kids were off from school Friday so I knew going into this weekend, they would be with me for three FULL days.  I'm guessing the exhaustion from Aubrey Kate's birthday week/weekend and the clean up, set-the-house-back-together week caught up with me.  Combine that with knowing we had three FULL days to be together and I just flat out lost the ability to care.  

About most anything.

Certainly about food.

Thus, I ate cereal.

The weekend was fine.  They were kids.  No one slept late.  Or all the way through the night even.  So the witching hour was super fun but honestly, that's relatively normal.  They ate some but mostly not.  We read a lot of books.  And discussed every drawing of every character in every book until I wanted to pull out my hair.   

Mostly, we stayed on the go as much as we could.  The kids do better with a few strategically scheduled events.  Staying at home all day is too much togetherness.  For all of us.

I did manage to finish reading a book.  That's an accomplishment in and of itself.  I've also binge watched "Long Lost Family" on TLC.  Because apparently, I needed a reason to cry.  Heavens.  

Just in case you think things have really changed, I'll leave you with this story from AK.  

While I was running on Saturday, I was thinking about AK and her dance routine and, well, I was listening to some Michael Jackson (as one does when you run) and I started envisioning AK and I doing a dance together.  Just something fun and easy.  But something we could do together.

As we were driving home, I made the suggestion.  

"Hey, Aubrey Kate, what would you think about us doing a dance routine together?  Maybe your dance teacher could video your dance and we could do it together.  What do you think?"

Furrowed brow..."Um....I'm not sure.  Let me think about it.  I'll let you know."

"Okay.  Well, good.  You let me know how you feel about it just whenever you get a chance."

I'm glad time with me requires some thought.  

Here are the pictures from the weekend.  ENJOY.




Listen.  I'd love to tell you what's happening in that picture.  But I really don't have words.  Go with God, Rhys.


My COMPLETED book.  Please.  Read it.  Change the word "lovely" for "gratitude" and you'll see why I'm telling you to read it.  Not in a bossy way just in a YOU NEED THIS BOOK way.  



Maybe I'll get inspired or have some revelation to the twelve posts I have drafted.  Or maybe I'll write again in another month about Easter.  At this rate, I'll get the birthday post up in June.  

I rock at this.

1 comment:

  1. OK. Love the pics. It's hard to be alone with the littles for days and no help. You did it as you always do. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete