Monday, June 22, 2015

Apparently, High School Ended 20 Years Ago...

Circa 1995.  Bless my heart.

Well, it was bound to happen.

The 20 Year High School Reunion.

It's not until August.  And, well, BAND, so I'm not sure we can make it.  If we did, the "we" would be our Awesome Threesome.  

Truthfully, I would like to go.  Although, I have such few memories from high school.  It might feel more like walking into a room full of strangers.  

Which, I guess, it would be.

Because none of us are the same person after 20 years.  Not one.

Last month, a friend asked about a reunion and discovered the FB group with all the information.  There were 90 members.  I graduated with 110 people.  I recognized about 4 names on the list.

How can that be?

(Chris says it's my Tylenol PM.  He read some article somewhere about taking it long term.  Supposedly, it increases your chances for dementia.)

(To which I say, I'M DOOMED.)

(Children, be kind in the selection of the nursing home.  And forgive me for whatever I say while living there.)

I would say it doesn't feel like it's been 20 years.  But that's a TOTAL LIE.

It completely and utterly feels like 20 years.

Granted, looking back, the time has been fast.  Especially since we've moved to Texas.  Which was UNBELIEVABLY in 2007.  I suspect the addition of children has much to do with the increase in the whole TIME FLIES thing.

Because they grow so fast.  We can barely keep up.

The years have been oh so good.  All twenty of them.

Okay, so there were those early years in college that were difficult.  But apart from that, good stuff.

Combine my 20th anniversary of graduating high school with our entire life being turned upside down during The Pruning, and you get me making a list of things I've learned.

20 items.  Clearly.

(These are not earth-shattering.  Like, I left off a whole lot of spiritual things because let's just all admit GOD IS BIG and let that sit.)

Enjoy!

1)  I know less than I did at 18.  Teenagers know ALL THE THINGS.  

2)  Bangs and perms.  Jesus take the perm.

3)  Somehow, my life is still dictated by a marching band schedule.  

4)  God truly has a sense of humor.

5)  Life is short.  Eat the chocolate.

6)  Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Texas...people are people.  Find your people, wherever you are, and love them.

7)  The gigantic computer in my dad's study has somehow shrunk and can now fit in my purse. 

8)  Proving, at least some things, have gotten smaller.

9)  My mom and dad were a.maz.ing parents but they are KILLING IT as grandparents.  

10)  Life is short.  Eat the kale.  

11)  The view from my office was good. The view from the floor in my kids' rooms, the BEST.  

12)  The size and shape of your _______ does not determine your value or define your identity.  (Suggestions include but are not limited to: "house," "car," "office," and "pants."  See also, "number of likes.")

13) Dance, bike, run, jump on that box, lift heavy stuff...find something you love to do and do it more days than not.  

14)  However, life is too short for burpies.  That's my personal motto.  

15)  Motherhood is far more difficult than I could have ever imagined.  

16)  I can love someone far more than I could have ever imagined.

17)  For reasons I will never understand, I still have all the lyrics to Wilson Phillips' "Hold On" memorized.  I feel 1,000% certain that memory space could be better utilized.  

18)  The phrase, "Payin' for your raisin'" is true.  It is also true you get to pay for your spouse's raising.  It's a packaged deal. 

19)  Marry the person who makes you laugh.  Laughter gets you through a whole lot of stuff.   

20)  A life lived with gratitude makes everything enough and worth it and blessed.

Anything I left out?  I mean, besides the obvious.  Which is CLEARLY, your momma was right.  About everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment