Friday, November 7, 2014

Gratitude Friday...

What a great week, y'all!  

Meme and Buddy were here.  Company is just the best.  Buddy slap wore himself out carrying the kids around.  We spent all day Tuesday trapped inside.  Lots and lots of rain. He got some gigantic jewels added to his crown that day!  

I am so grateful for how they love my kids.  

Rhys asked if he would see them when we got home this morning.  

"No, baby, they've gone back home to Alabama."

Sticking lips out.  Arms crossed.  Huffy tone.  "I never get to see them."

Bless him.  They weren't even out of the state yet and already it was "never."

Toddler drama.

Actually, Rhys showed the worst side of himself while they were here.  Serious, major, where-did-this-kid-come-from tantrums.  His anger prompted him to climb out of the crib for the first time.

Heavens.

Aubrey Kate still wouldn't be climbing out of the crib.  Not kidding.

So he figured it out.  And then it became a battle of wills.  He eventually gave up but it took some STERN discussion that first night.  

I'm grateful he didn't hurt himself climbing out and grateful he's asleep in the still-intact crib.  

Chris says he'll convert it to the toddler bed this weekend.  Which means Sunday since that's the only day of the week he'll be home.

Honestly, I am just not ready for it.  Not.  He's my last baby.  And I'm not havin' it.  He can grow up in the spring, maybe.  If he asks nicely.  But not just before the holidays.  No, no, no, no, no.

Pretty sure I'm not gonna get my way here but I might throw my own little toddler tantrum in response.

Complete with huffy tone.

I guess, to find something to be grateful for in that, I'll be grateful Rhys IS growing up.  Huff.

Since we had extra playmates this week, I was able to do something I rarely do...

...READ.

Feathers from My Nest by Beth Moore.

She wrote the book after her youngest left for college.  So she was in the midst of an "empty nest."  I am in the midst of what feels like an "overflowing nest."

And I just have two.

She talks in the book about how she feels it's completely impossible she only had three children in her house.  She was tired enough for 13.  Don't even try to convince her there were any less than that. 

The woman speaks truth.

I have loved reading her reflections and lessons.  It has been such an encouragement to me.  Especially as we're nearing the end of marching season and gearing up for the holiday season.  Transitions can be trying.  Reintroducing daddy back into their daily lives (at least more than once a week) is a big change for their little hearts.  They've gotten even further attached to me than they were four months ago.  I want to meet their needs with love and grace.  

Only my Father can fill me up with that.  

I highlighted this quote because I think God gave it to her JUST FOR ME.

"I also have no idea what is ahead for my children.  They are still young.  They have many decisions ahead to make.  I can't imagine theirs will always be wise ones.  But in the image of my Father, I am challenged to have a fresh heap of mercy ready and waiting.  When I'm dry, frustrated, and weary, thankfully, I can borrow a bucket full of His.  I must, no matter how hard the prospect, because my children are watching for me to practice what I have preached of God."

Amen.

This building a home, a family, a legacy of faith, I'm not in charge of it.  I often forget that.  On days when I KNOW I didn't give them my best.  On days when I feel like I did give them my best and it was still a rough day.  The moments when I'm having to teach Rhys to say "Sorry" even when his sinful, selfish, toddler, human nature wants to RUN.  When Aubrey Kate melts down over the feel of her PJ's and proclaims she's never wearing PJ's with pants again and I have to count to ten and ask God for His patience and self-control because we own 14 pairs of PJ's and ONLY TWO NIGHTGOWNS.  

Please, Lord.  Fill me up.

Grateful that He never fails to do so.

"Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it up." ~ Psalms 127:1

No comments:

Post a Comment