Monday, September 15, 2014

Saved by the Dress...

Well, we are still in "adjusting" mode over here.  The first week of school (which was all of two days) was pretty rough.  Aubrey Kate actually came home from school that Friday crying.  

I was totally weirded out by it.

Just being honest.  

For a girl who loves...loves...school, swearing she was never going back to school ever, ever again and even if she did, she would never, like never, have a good day, was all kinds of wrong.  I talked with her as patiently and lovingly as I could.  I prayed for her and with her.  Asking our Father to relieve her anxiety and fill her up with His peace and goodness.  

So He sent her a new dress.

Y'all.  He knows that girl.

We saw our precious friends who pass down their clothes to our littles.  They are Saturday night church attendees and we are Sunday morning goers so we really don't see each other at church.  But that Sunday, they were there.  

And they brought clothes.

Inside the bag was an adorable red Ladybug dress.  Pretty much the LOTTERY of adorable dresses.

That dress turned AK around from dreading going to school to stinkin' excited.  

She woke up Monday morning crazy psyched to get dressed and go to school.  Afterward, she still had not had the best day.  She literally said, "It was bad. I told you I would never have a good day!"  But because of the dress, the afternoon was free of crying.  It's hard to cry when the teacher confirms that yes, yes, you are super cute.

Mom fail in that I did not get a picture of her in the dress.  I was a little too focused on PRAYING to think about using the camera.

Wednesday was her turn for Show and Share.  She got to pick five things to share to help show her class who she is.  Which is just giggle-worthy to me because sitting here staring down 40, I'm not sure I could adequately describe myself utilizing five items.  That seems like a daunting task.  But she knocked out her selection of said things in less than sixty seconds.  

Not kidding.

1.  Pink and Purple Marker - her first and last favorite colors

2.  Granola Bar - her favorite snack (which is totally not true but ooookkkkkaaayyyyy)

3.  Picture she drew - her latest favorite drawing...circles with different colors inside

4.  Ariel - her favorite toy, which is sort of true.  She really loves anything Princess.  Because I don't so you know, of course, she does.

5.  Family Picture - my suggestion so let's all marvel she actual accepted my recommendation.

She wore her pink tutu with pink leggings and her bird shirt (again, no picture, mom fail).  I wouldn't say it was her favorite outfit but she does love it.  So between getting to share her favorite things and wearing a zillion layers of pink, Wednesday was an okay day.  

"It was okay.  Not good, though."  

Just in case I was confused.

Friday was a chilly day.  Knowing the weather change was coming, we went through her stack of "new" winter clothes on Thursday.  She picked out a black and white dress and Zebra pint leggings.  Oh, and her Zebra print bow she says she's saving to wear to the Zoo.  

You know, to match the real Zebras.  


Sigh.  Friday she finally said her day was good.  Of course, the teacher let her pick which station she got to play in.  You know, rather than selecting a key and going to that station.  And she did mention talking with a little girl in her class.  That made me smile.  She can be such a loaner.  Any time she talks about playing with a little friend, my momma heart jumps with glee.  

Let's be honest.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree here.  I, too, have been known to shop to relieve stress.  Something about new clothes makes me feel special.  And I like to feel special.  

Thus, so does my daughter.  

Oh, how I pray she will someday find all the special she needs in Christ.  

And that, until then, I will remember to hold a few "new" dresses aside for the days when we need a little pick-me-up.

1 comment:

  1. I pray for more good days at school always!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete