Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Left Alone, This is What Happens...

Without a doubt, y'all have heard me refer to myself as a "band widow."  This state of being extends from August through November.  All the way up until the week before Thanksgiving this year.  

About which Chris said, It's only, like, one more week.

Right.

So anything I want done around the house, I kinda just do it.  It also happens to be close to fall and that's when I really get the "decorate my nest" feeling.  I move pillows around.  Change out curtains.  Fix little things that have been driving me crazy but never bothered to deal with.  You know, "decorate the nest" nesting.

Lately, Rhys has been climbing up in his chair in his room and crawling into the widow sill.  He's fallen a couple of times but nothing major.  Mostly he just does it to run away from me.  And let me tell you how much I just LOVE pulling him out of the window.  

Not.

The chair is really not serving a purpose in the nursery anymore.  I don't sit in it to feed him or rock him.  We read our bedtime stories in Aubrey Kate's bed.  Honestly, it's just taking up space.  

Time to move it out.

Thankfully, we have plenty of space upstairs in the bonus room.  And we do use that room once a week for small group.  I know our groupies might like the chance to sit in a big comfy chair.  Plus, as far as I know, I don't think any of them are gonna climb on it and fall on their head.  That seems like a bonus to me.

The problem is...the chair is 40 or 50 lbs.  And it took all kinds of wiggling to get it into his room to start with.  IF I managed to get it out of his room...without scratching the walls...then came the dragging to the opposite end of the house.  IF I made it THAT far, then would be getting it up the stairs...without scratching the walls...or breaking pictures.

I had my doubts.

But I also needed that chair gone and when I am ready for something to happen...IT HAPPENS.

So as a reminder, here's the chair in Rhys' precious nursery:



Besides the middle of the night feedings and holding baby while he drifted off to sleep when he was sick or fussy, the chair was also the spot for his first six months worth of monthly Aubie shots.

Three months...
And four months...don't worry, he was fine...
Chris and I both took a nap on Sunday.  I rarely do that but I stayed up too late Saturday night scrapbooking so I was a Zombie Sunday.  God was gracious and sent us a downpour Sunday morning too.  That, to me, was a sign I needed to snuggle up and NAP.

That meant I woke up yesterday with a little pep in my step.  I was well-rested.  A rare moment I treasured.  The kids also slept late.  Aubrey Kate until 8:45 am and I had to wake Rhys up at 8.  Why did I wake him?  Because I need...NEED...him to take a nap everyday.  With the kids sleeping late, I got a good bit of my general chores done before they even got out of bed.  They woke up in GREAT moods and were playing together like rock stairs.  

I seized the moment.  

The kids thought I was crazy.  They also thought it was SUPER FUN.  They had a blast pretending the cushion was a trampoline.  Well, sure.  

I got it out of the room, vacuumed (gross) and used washcloths under the legs to push it across the floor to the dining room.  There it sat until after the kids were down for the night.  NO WAY I was trying to push that thing upstairs while trying to answer the firing squad of questions AND keep them out from underneath me.  I felt like the reason for moving the chair would be moot if me and the chair fell on top of them.  

First thing I did was take the baby gate down.  It might not go back up.  We may be past it now.  We'll see.  Then I just started rolling it UP the stairs.  I kept thinking about Ross and his couch.  Y'all watch Friends, right?  So I was rolling this 45 lbs chair by myself and all I could hear in my head was "PIVOT!"  

It worked.

I got it upstairs.  Somehow.  My arms and abs were ON FIRE afterward.  Plus the sweating.  But it's all done!  

Chris' only comment...after I sent him a picture of the chair in it's new home upstairs...was, "You're gonna kill yourself."

Maybe.  But this is what happens during marching season.  I get an idea and MUST DO IT.  I wonder what will be next?  

Newly empty room...
Chair in waiting...
And in it's new home!

1 comment:

  1. That is no small chair! Deep too! So glad you didn't fall backwards, it roll on you, and you break something, Or can't get up OR you're knocked out. SO glad none of that happened.
    Nice place for it up there.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete