Wednesday, August 27, 2014

2003 Calling, 2003 Calling...

Way back in 2003, I was working as Catering Assistant for The Cloister on Sea Island.  The Catering Department...all two of us...planned weddings, family events and member events at The Cloister, a five star resort off the coast of Georgia.

We were busy.

And I loved it.

During my three years at the hotel, I had the absolute privilege of working as a "Concierge" for groups.  The group would pay me directly to work for them.  Exclusively.  These were either on my days off or when Ann would release me.

(Or I did both jobs at once and just worked 16 hours a day.  Shhhhh...)

Without a doubt, I learned the most from the Concierge jobs.  I worked with Executive Assistants or Corporate Event Planners and SOAKED IT UP.  From printing labels to delivering gift baskets to working registration desks, I got to see how a corporate event was run from the corporate side.  As opposed to the hotel side.

The hotel side taught me about table sizes, how to fit eight chairs around said table without someone straddling the leg of the table, food and why wedding cakes taste not so great and how to make them melt-in-your-mouth fabulous and, most importantly, how to tie those big bows on the backs of the chiavari chairs.

Really, it's an art to getting that darn thing straight.

The hotel side is all "back of the house" which I adore.  I'm a complete back of the house girl.  It's my comfort zone.  Plan, execute and let someone else take the credit.  Because think about it.  The hostess of the party, the Mother of the Bride, the CEO all get the credit.  Rarely does someone think to thank the on site planner who probably gently directed them away from having bag pipes inside the marble floor reception hall because LOUD.  Sweet mercy.

Working with groups, though, was more "front of the house" stuff.  Smiling, assisting, directing, attending.  That's all front of the house.  That's when the introvert in me has to take a break.  I take deep breaths, do some push ups and change personalities.  It took a while, but I did learn how to hold my own with small talk.  It's a skill.  And at the end of such an event, I tend to be completely EXHAUSTED.  And like to spend gigantic amounts of time sitting on the hotel yacht watching the sun set over the river.  

Perks. Of. The. Job. 

What I learned working both sides while at the hotel those three years, prepared me for my career in OKC and Fort Worth.

And the person who taught me the most while at The Cloister called me today.

An amazing woman who runs a foundation.  They hosted their annual Board of Directors meeting at The Cloister.  For three years, I worked with her and the foundation.  We talked a lot while we worked and believe me, I bombarded her with questions.  Kind, generous and a wonderful teacher, I aspired to be her when I grew up.  We kept in touch while I was in OKC.  She was gracious to give me little golden nuggets of guidance when I began planning our company's BOD trips.

It's been 11 years since I worked with her.  Two and half since I left gainful employment all together.  And believe me, I've been feeling that lately.

Most of my mommy friends in our current city (not so in our last home city) are working moms.  I know very few full-time mommies.  There are days when I simply want them...and the men, even...to TELL ME ABOUT WORK.  Living vicariously through them.  It's not at all fulfilling but it keeps my working gal juices flowing.

So when my mentor called today, I was in heaven catching her up on my life.  Recounting stories of my career and sharing a little bit of our journey to parenthood.  She did the same.  Exciting to hear about her life and career changes.   She talked about her life at home with kids and how grateful she was for those precious years.

The conversation was yet another gift from her.  Reminding me of my strengths and the joy I got from helping others plan events.  Letting me know that these years at home will not derail me from my career forever.  She runs a mighty organization.  And she took time off to stay with little people.

Professionally, there is no greater excitement for me than turning someones idea of special into, not just a reality, but a reality further than they could have imagined.  Going over and above expectations.  Diligently serving someone to make their special actually "special."

If I've learned anything about myself in the last two and half years apart from working, I know that I know that I know I LOVE making special extra special.

Today was an affirmation for me.  And one I needed.  Buried in Care Bears and keeping up with Chris' schedule.  It's not entirely fulfilling.  It's a JOY and most days, it's all I can even begin to think about doing AT THIS STAGE.

But one day...this stage will move on.  It's nothing short of amazing someone continues to remember me and my work positively after a decade.  God continues to astound me at His love and care for my silly, superficial, prone-to-wander spirit.  He sends me a sweet message of love a decade in the making.  Affirming for me my passions, my joys and my place in His heart.  He's got plans.  And He is preparing me for them.  Of that, I am certain.  

Because it's just not every day, 2003 calls you up for some encouragement.  

1 comment:

  1. How amazing! You are great in the back AND front of the house:-)
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete