Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Good News on a Rainy Sunday...

It's a cold, rainy, generally yucky day around here.  

The good news... we were small group free tonight.  So there has been approximately zero cleaning happening.

A FREE DAY!

Seriously, it's like a gift.  

So I did what any self-respecting wife would do...roped Chris into hanging stuff on the walls.

Right?  That's how I roll.

While we were fixing lunch, Rhys cleaned out our kitchen junk drawer for us.  He's super helpful like that.  There was a brief moment of meltdown when Chris took the WD-40 and lighter away from him.  He hates it when he can't have something.  But really, we felt like the appropriate parental action was NOT to let him play with oil and fire.  

He'll appreciate the logic of that some day.

Anyway, in that junk drawer was a pack of playing cards (score!), a number 5 candle (for Chris' 35th birthday and no, I have no idea where the number 3 went) (score!) and a couple of old watches from my teenage years when I wore watches instead of carrying around a cell phone (and score!).

The good news...all these items were instant and amazing distractions for the kids.  Because they are random and new to them.  And we were totally fine with them being completely destroyed.  

Since the kids were being entertained and they were awake, I asked Chris if we could hang the stuff in our room.  Of course, by "we" I mean "him" with "me" as his supervisor.  

I've had the stuff since last summer but Rhys sleeps next door to us and somehow, nailing and screwing things into the wall while the toddler was trying to sleep seemed CRAZY.  

That is most definitely NOT how I roll.

To hang the stuff over the bed, we have to climb up and stand on the bed.  THIS is ridiculously exciting for the children.  Like, wildly exciting.  

While we're standing there discussing the placement of said "stuff," Chris says, "While the kids are distracted, huh?"

I turn to look at two little faces staring up at us from on top of the cedar chest.

Well, technically they are very distracted.  

By us.

But the good news...they brought the cards, #5 candle (now wick-less), and watches with them.  

My chosen decor for over our bed is empty picture frames.  I love the look of them like this and this.  So far, I haven't collected enough to get my desired effect but, as I shared with Chris, the good news is...I can always add more.

To which Chris replied, "Well, now that IS the good news."

Here's the finished-for-now product:



I need some smaller ones and some different shapes.  Maybe when the grandparents are here next week, I'll hit up some thrift stores.  Y'all know I do adore my thrift stores!

Then we moved on to the empty wall over my desk.  For that, Chris had to get out his serious tools.  The good news...that included a laser level for which we had no command strips.  I got the job of holding the level in place.  

In the meantime, Aubrey Kate lost her #5 candle.  So she was running around yelling, "WHERE IS MY NUMBER 5???"

Me:  Why does it feel like we're in an episode of Sesame Street?

Chris:  Because our whole life IS an episode of Sesame Street.  

Me:  Right.

The good news...they were blissfully happy driving their cars looking for the #5.


That's Rhys' "new" smile.  Precious. 

Drilling in the screws into the wall proved entertaining too.  Since Chris kept hitting a "stud" but that couldn't be because they weren't 16 inches apart.  I suggested he might be hitting the other side of the wall.

Silly wife.

The good news...he was actually hitting the medicine cabinet INSIDE the wall. 

Really, it was funny.  

The shelves still need to be filled.  Not sure with what.  Scrapbooking stuff maybe?  Move some of the fabric craft stuff in here?  More pictures?  Because it is impossible to have too many pictures up of my adorable kiddos.

Here's the not-so-finished product: 


After that, it was nap/quiet time.  And today, it was actually quiet.  I wondered why Aubrey Kate was so quiet.  Because she was building this:



The good news...she didn't complain when it was time to clean them up.  Of course, it took her as long to pick up one set as it took me to pick up the other four.  But who's keeping score?  

The rest of the night was wrestle time with daddy, playing with kitchen utensils with Rhys and being overly impressed with the latest rainbow Pumpkin draws.  

Honestly, it was a regular ole day in our little nest.  Nothing overly exciting.  But the good news...even on regular ole days, there are lots of giggles, plenty of imaginations at work and little, chubby, precious cheeks to kiss.

The good news is...this is the good stuff, y'all.  

3 comments:

  1. Precious!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog is the second "this" and I just happen to stumble up your blog post! Crazy! Love your frames and your littles are adorable! Lucky you to get your hubbies help!

    ReplyDelete