Tuesday, May 31, 2016

It's Totally Fine...

First, I need to confess this:  My children ate popcorn for lunch.

Today marks our first official summer day at home.  And I'm already wiped.

I had planned a nutritious lunch of organic kale and beet salad with a fresh squeezed citrus vinaigrette from the lemon trees in our yard followed by some flashcard work and bible study.  But, alas, popcorn in front of some educational "Angelina Ballerina" while I showered and ate leftover pizza won out today.

(No, my children do not eat kale or beets and no, we not have lemon trees in our yard.)

(Do lemon trees even grow in Texas?)

(Probably not but I suspect we're forcing them to somewhere.  Because we're Texas, dagnabit, and what you can do, we can do better.)

(We're looking at you, Florida.)

Also, the kids vetoed the flashcards and bible study (I had planned some Leviticus for them) and opted instead to play in the rain.  Right now, they're cleaning their plates (they had pear for a snack) (see, something healthy) while they collected rain water in their Halloween buckets and jumped in the puddles with their clothes and rain boots on.  Not sure why the rain boots were needed because the rest of them is soaking wet but who am I to argue with playtime.

They've now poured full Halloween pumpkins onto the dry, covered patio to "create more puddles!"

Clearly.

Last week was spent in Alabama.  Traveling, especially home, is amazing.  I loved every minute of it.    Well, okay, maybe not the minutes when my kids became overtired and over-sassy because of it.  Or the trapped inside away from Public because of pink eye minutes. But other than that, EVERY. MINUTE.  

Then small group came over yesterday for an end of the year party.  We offered to host after the leaders' little guy came down with croup (Bless his heart!  How about y'all come here and we all just avoid sharing that?).  But I had only about 24 hours to get ready.  

This morning consisted of after-party clean up.  Round 2.  Not everything fit in the dishwasher last night and while I totally could have washed the dishes last night, that's simply not how I roll.  And it's certainly not how Chris rolls, since he was the one doing the clean up last night.  I managed to glutenate myself.  

After-party clean up ranks as one of my favorite types of clean ups.  With the exception of two, all of my mason jar glasses were used and I smiled filling up the entire top drawer of the dishwasher with them, one at a time.  Half the pinwheels set out for decoration found lovely homes with some precious kiddos.  Empty water bottles and a chip basket with only crumbs remaining equals filled tummies.  And every dirty plate and napkin left in random locations means people were too busy talking and enjoying themselves to worry with finding a trash can.  

Makes me smile.

Grateful to have a house where we can host a last minute swim party.

Grateful to have a now mostly dry covered patio to sit and write.

Grateful to have a home to visit, even when we bring pink eye with us.

Enjoy the pictures from our week at home!







1 comment:

  1. We enjoyed having all of you home too! It's such a joy every second we are together! It makes me smile too when friends come to your home I know how you love that too.

    ReplyDelete