Monday, November 16, 2015

The Catch Up Post...

Earth-shattering title.  

It's been a busy few weeks in our little life.  After the kids go down, I find myself completely worthless and unable to string together coherent sentences.

Which may or may not be a change from previous years.

Today, though, we are at McDonald's, because it's raining and I was tired of watching Rhys BOUNCE in one spot inside the house.  Bless boys.  They need to expend oh so much energy.

Normally, we would stay at AK's school and play on the playground to our heart's content.  But the rain means no.  So it costs me eight bucks to get them a new, cheap toy and let them run and climb all over the play place.

It's worth it.

Anyway, since it's still daytime hours, my brain is mostly functional.  And since I don't have to cook tonight (Chris is gone) (shock), I can expend some energy of my own getting caught up on the last couple of weeks.

There was Halloween.  


Aubrey Kate made sure to wear a different costume to every "event."  Because she can.  Pocahontas was good for school and the YMCA event we went to with friends.  The OU cheerleader made her appearance for the kids' park (the gym) that morning.  And then Aurora finally joined us for the Trunk or Treat at Rhys' preschool.

Rhys was Captain America at any and all events.  

And let's just please take a moment to admire how adorable he was.  Heavens.

"We" carved a pumpkin and roasted the seeds.  They were so insistent we do that project and then no one wanted to touch the inside of the pumpkin.  Neither of my children like to get their hands dirty.

It's genetic, apparently.

I'd never roasted pumpkin seeds.  Or carved a pumpkin, for that matter.  So now I have and, well, I'M GOOD.  No need to attempt such a task again.  

Although, the pumpkin seeds in brown sugar and cinnamon were mighty tasty.

The next day was a birthday party.  The kids had a great time and I got to visit with the other mommas.  Where we may have spent a little too much time discussing Project Runway.

(And I need to say, I really wanted Ashely to win but I wasn't all that impressed with her runway show.)

(But I almost had to turn away when that fanny pack went down.)

(Can't handle that.)

The party was a carnival theme complete with a face painter.  Again, neither of my kids likes to get "dirty" so we were the cleanest faced children there.  But just before we left, AK asked if she could get her arm painted.

AB-SO-LUTE-LY.


Those butterflies were amazing.  Pink and purple.  Of course.  They had a little sparkle in them too.  

She wore them proudly and without complaint.  I was just tickled for her.  

The next weekend, Chris and I headed down to College Station for the Auburn/A&M game.  It was rainy and cold but we won and not a single adult threw themselves on the ground screaming.  

Although, there were likely some who wanted to do that.  

First, in my continuing effort to be transparent, I need you to understand it took me 45 minutes of trying on clothes to figure out what to wear.

1)  I own an obscene amount of orange and navy.

2)  The weather was rainy and cold which meant layers.

3)  Rain = mud which eliminated jeans because all my jeans require my spike-healed boots.  (Except for my jeans I wear with flip-flops but those were not game-day nice.)  (Don't ask.  It's an SEC thing.)

4)  So jeans would have been the warmest option but it wasn't an option because I lacked the appropriate footwear.

Chris watched the whole thing.  He was trying not to laugh.  It wasn't funny.  It was frustrating.  I finally ended up in a million layers.  Which turned out to be a good thing since it was significantly colder than predicted.

Thanks to the wind.

We went with our A&M friends who were so kind to put up with us and our Auburn-ness.  We hit Tiger Walk first but all we saw were the buses pulling into the stadium.  The crowd was disappointed.   But we did get to cheer Bodda Getta several times so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Aren't we cute?



This is our "WHAT??!?!?  WE WON?!?!?!" after game shot.  I was also freezing.  And wet.  But we won!  

We drove all the way home that night and made it home safely.  Which is an absolute miracle.  We were both exhausted.  Thankfully, the children let us sleep all the way to 6:50 am.

Wasn't that just the sweetest?


In the meantime, Rhys grew up.  

A lot.

There is no baby in that picture.  All big boy.

He has been pushing every boundary ever created in the history of the world.  He's a big ole ball of energy that acts before he thinks.  I feel fairly certain that will remain the case for several more years.

Or until he's 26.

I do my best to defuse and distract.  And not let my feelings get hurt every time he screams, "I WANT OUT OF THIS HOUSE" at me.  Which is shockingly often.  

His teenage years are gonna be awesome.  

AK and I have been trying to stay sane as much as possible.  We frequently look over at each other totally perplexed by his behavior.  

Last week, he needed to sleep.  Sweet mercy.  So I told AK we were taking the long way home.  He was asleep in 15 minutes.  We stopped by the house for potty breaks and then we headed to get ourselves a hot fudge sundae.  She got in the front with me and we ate.  Quietly.  Literally, we didn't talk.  We just ate and enjoyed Rhys NOT pitching a fit.  

Good times.


We did take the time to take a selfie.  Because we are cute.

Yesterday, I got to take her on a little date.  Her feet keep growing.  It's weird.  I just bought her shoes last Christmas, for goodness sake.  I've bought her various other shoes but she keeps saying they're either too big or too small.  So I figured I needed to take her with me to try on shoes.

Don't worry.  She tried them ALL on.  We left no shoe unfilled.  

Between Target and Payless, we have ourselves a nice, solid list of SEVEN pairs of shoes she wants.  

Let me know if you are itching to buy some little girl shoes.  I've got a list.  Complete with pictures.

Obviously, Santa ain't buying all those.

After shopping, we rewarded our successful trip with yogurt.


It was the cherry on top, literally, to our date.

Next week, Daddy's taking her on a date.  I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with Skillet.  Taking any and all suggestions.

And there you have it!  Consider yourself caught up.  

You're life is complete now.  

And it's time to begin the battle of leaving the McDonald's.

No comments:

Post a Comment