Sunday, August 23, 2015

Best Weekend Ever...Maybe...

Well, folks, we made it through band camp.  Saturday was the last day of camp, which ended with a performance for the parents in the stadium.  

Do you hear the angels singing?

(Sorry, Dad.)

(Dad believes angels don't sing.  They proclaim.)

(This is not something I lose sleep over.)

We've been pretty active this week.  Although, we haven't been to the gym too much.  Once I called the audible on potty training, it was time to clean the house.  I shudder to think how much bodily waste was floating around.  

It took me three days to get it all clean.

Of course, some of that is because I hadn't been doing a whole lot of deep cleaning prior to potty training so the house was doubly disgusting.  

But it's done now.  

At least for a week or so.

Friday was cleaning and a swing by the grocery store.  TRY TO CONTAIN YOUR EXCITEMENT.  We are all kinds of crazy around here.  

Aubrey Kate had seen the little merry-go-round outside the grocery store and has since begged to ride it.  I almost never have cash and certainly not change.  Aubrey Kate offered to use the money out of her piggy bank.  And let me assure you, she's loaded.  I agreed to those terms and asked her to remind me before we left home next time and we'd grab some change.

Homegirl actually remembered.

So before we left, we grabbed $1.50 worth of quarters out of her life savings.  

($1.50 because I have no idea how much those things cost in this economy)

(How old do I sound saying that?)  

(Back in my day, it was just a quarter but that was before the surface of the earth cooled.)  

(And before the Internet.)


There are really not enough words to explain their joy in this moment.  It was ALL THEY HAD DREAMED.  The ride lasted 30 seconds.  Maybe less.  It cost $0.50.  She had enough to ride two more times but I opted not to teach her that math lesson.  We'll save our quarters for next time.  Why max out the fun on the first trip?

Saturday, we hit our local Chick-fil-a for a Back to School Round-up with a petting zoo and other stuff it was too hot for us to worry with.  Seriously.  It's hot.

Y'all, in case you've forgotten, we live in Texas.  So adults...like, people who pay bills and insurance and are responsible for preparing their children for their own adulthood...dressed their children up, in the 101 degree heat, in jeans, boots, denim long-sleeved shirts, a bandanna scarf and their cowboy hat.

I mean.  

It was adorable.  But for real, y'all.  Let's be adults and NOT dress our children in cold weather cowboy gear.  Please.

Mine don't own cowboy gear.

Because their parents are not Texans.  So should they decide they need western wear, they're gonna need to bust open their precious piggy banks.




Yes, in case you noticed, Rhys did actually squeal when he saw the pig.  The pig named Mr. Wiggles.  

For real.  I can't make that up.

After the petting zoo, we did exactly what CFA hopes we will do when they host free events at their joint...we went in and bought food.

Okay, well, Frosted Lemonades so not exactly food but it was cold and we were red-faced hot.  

The kids played with all the other zillion and one kids in the play area.  The moms were happy.  I heard familiar phrases like, "Don't even think about going back in there."  Or, "Don't climb the walls and watch out for the little kids."  And, "You know I can't handle all that screaming so ZIP IT."

I was heard saying, "Dude, don't lick the chair."

The other moms laughed.  

Such solidarity at at CFA on Saturday night.  Carry on, Mommas, carry on.  We're just all here trying to survive.

Then we headed up to that stadium performance I opened with.  You were wondering when that would fit back in, weren't you?  The performance didn't start until 7 and my kids are normally in bed by 7:30 pm.  Thus, we had a late night.  They were all tucked in, sans bath, at 9:15 pm.

And if you for one MINUTE think they slept late, you are a complete rookie.  Staying up late equals sleeping late approximately zero times.  Ever.  They were both up at 6:50 am.  

Okay, so that's about 5 minutes later than normal.

This momma knew Sunday was gonna be rough with almost two hours less sleep.  And Chris needed sleep.  So we went to McDonald's mid-morning for some playtime.  

For reasons I do not understand, McDonald's has a TV in their play area.  WHY????  They could stay home and watch TV.  I do my best to keep them moving but with a negative sleep balance, they took several play breaks in front of Bugs Bunny.  

Oh well.  I pretended like I didn't notice and went back to reading my book.

If you add together the merry-go-round, the petting zoo, the Frosted Lemonades, running around the press box of the stadium way past your bedtime and watching Bugs Bunny at McDonald's, I believe I  managed to created THE BEST WEEKEND EVER.

You're welcome, Littles.  You. Are. Welcome.

1 comment: