Wednesday, September 3, 2014

She Just Makes Up Rules...

Welcome to the First Day of Four Year Old Preschool!!!  

Whew.

1.  We survived summer.

2.  We survived band camp.

3.  We survived GETTING TO SCHOOL.

Last night, I got everything ready to go.  Lunches, change of clothes in the backpack and, of course, the very important chalkboard for pictures.  

Yes, I'm totally THAT mom.


This morning, I whipped up some pancakes for a first day of school breakfast.  We love pancakes over here.  But only one of us agreed to smile for pictures.  Obviously.



For reasons I will never know, AK opted for a navy and orange outfit today.  I was stunned.  She'd been talking for weeks about wearing her pink twirly dress.  And then she hits me with orange and blue.  I mean, she's ADORABLE...but this is just not her usual color combo.



Aubrey Kate had it in her mind that there would be "Show and Share" today.  I didn't tell her otherwise because I felt certain telling her it wouldn't happen would do nothing but make her angry.  Let the teachers tell her.  They need to get to know her anyway.  But that's the reason Lambie made her appearance in the photos today.  She thought Lambie would play an pivotal role in the first day and really, she ended up staying stuffed in her backpack.

I wanted to do a couple of pictures of Rhys too.  I dressed him in orange and blue BEFORE AK selected her orange and blue.  It looks like I'm even more THAT mom and actually dressed them in matching outfits when truthfully, it's a total fluke.  

Rhys' sign says, "First Day of the Last Year at Home."  Most every teacher we know at the preschool has tried to convince me he's ready but he's not.  Besides, he'll be delayed a year for Kindergarten anyway.  Might as well delay one more year now.  He's already grown so much in just the past four months.  A year from now, he'll be a totally different kid.  


Could only get Rhys to stand still for one photo.  So I took one of Lambie.  At least she sat perfectly still.


Little brother was not all that happy about sister taking pictures without him.  Aubrey Kate was precious to let him take pictures with her.  How precious are they?  In their matching outfits and all?



She ran straight into her classroom and never looked back.  This girl really loves school.  I was worried Rhys would pitch a fit about leaving but he was great and left without a fuss.  

The rest of the morning was another story.  He cried the entire time at the gym.  The teachers were precious and didn't call me until my usual wrap up time.  When I got him, his little face was swollen and he was asking for sister.  Oh my heart.  He spent the rest of the morning wanting to be held and consistently asking when we were going to get sister.  

So we have some adjusting to do for Rhys.

AK came home from school doing nothing but complaining.  Girly does not like change.  So even though she was crazy excited about going back to school, the reality of being in a new room with new teachers and new kids was not as awesome.  

"What did you do with Mrs. Webber today?"

Quote:  "All she does is just make up rules.  All these rules she just keeps making up for things!"

I know a little girl who does that.  

"The teacher wouldn't let me play with what I wanted to play with!"  Apparently, the kids rotate through each station and my kid wants to just play with the dolls.  

"I didn't read ANY books!  The teachers said NO!"  Whatever.  I'm not buying that.

"I didn't talk to anyone.  I don't know them!"  When asked if she talked with/played with the other kids.  Which is likely true.  Even though she knows 5 or 6 of the kids.  I'm especially excited about two of the girls from her two year old class.  They are sweet girls and even last year when they were in a different class, she loved playing with them.  They have precious mommas too so I'm kinda partial.  

Overall, I'd say it appears both Rhys and AK have some adjusting to do this year.  I'm praying both adjust quickly.  Took AK until after Christmas last year.  Not sure how to help her transition easier.  If y'all have suggestions, SHARE!

Aubrey Kate and I did her new year favorites interview yesterday.  Props to me for doing that early because no way she was in a state to play along today.

1.  Book - Pinkalious.  Which we don't own so no idea where this came from.

2.  Food - Bananas, grapes and tomatoes.  (Actual answer, Mac and Cheese.)

3.  Song - "Open Up the Heavens," Meredith Andrews.  "The heaven song."  Which sparks all kinds of questions about heaven.  The other day she says, "Well, I know there will be Snickers in heaven."  Clearly, I am teaching outstanding theology over here.

4.  Activity - Going on dates with Daddy (which made Chris feel guilty because he doesn't see her much but really, she thought going with him to the Apple store last weekend was a date.  Winning.).  Playing toys with Rhys and not fighting about it.  (She totally said that.)  And going with Momma to find dresses with maximum twirl factor.  (Verbatim quote.)

5.  TV Show - Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Ariel.  (Sigh.)

6.  Color - I left out toy this year.  She likes too many.  And I love her answer to the question:  "Pink is my first favorite and purple is my last favorite but YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY, MOMMA!"  Silly me.

Hopefully, Mrs. Webber will stop just willy-nilly making up rules.  It's just so frustrating when teachers do that sort of thing. 


1 comment:

  1. Love the post! Poor Rhys, this is going to be hard for him. It could be good too, once he gets over the adjustment.
    AK will be good as well, now her teacher?
    Sweet days ladybug!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete