Friday, August 1, 2014

Gratitude Friday...

Well.  Here we are.  The Terrific Threesome.

Mom and Dad left today so all the grandparents have come and gone for a while.  

And it's August 1st so band camp 2014 has officially begun.  

Thus.  It's just the Terrific Threesome!

Thinking I'll do a list today of things to be thankful for.  It's been a while since I did a list and that feels wrong somehow.

1.  Weather - Currently, it's 77 degrees over here in our world.  That's truly a gift.  Band camp is an outdoors kinda thing (yes, you would assume most everyone knows that but you'd be surprised at the crazy things freshman...and their mommas...aren't aware of).  And it's outdoors from now until Thanksgiving.  It's normally hittin' 100 right about now.  This random fall-like weather is awesomeness.  

2.  Blowin' Kisses - We're in the middle of "quiet time" in our house.  Rhys went down without a fight.  Yawning all the way.  Aubrey Kate is another story.  She almost never stays in her room the whole time.  Today, she's been coming out to show me her awesome coloring job in her Strawberry Shortcake coloring book.  It's not bothering me today.  Sometimes when she comes out, it drives me crazy.  But today, I'm okay.  Regardless, she gets told every time to go back to her room.  That is, regardless of my patience level.  Each time she goes back in, she blows me a kiss.  I love it.  Almost makes her coming out okay.  Almost.

3.  Grandparents - I love the way our parents love on the kids.  Since they were out here for Rhys' birthday celebration, there were certainly gifts.  We don't really buy toys for the kids.  The grandparents, aunts and uncles do that plenty.  And they go nuts.  But really, I love the way they play and talk and engage with the kids.  I hope they remember Buddy carrying them around, one in each arm.  Or Nana taking them to the park.  Or Puddin' wearing his "King" gear as instructed by Queen Aubrey Kate.  Or Meme helping AK play dress up.  The toys will only last so long but crawling up in someone's lap to read a story...those are the memories they will treasure.

4.  Tests - Had some tests done this week.  Super. Fun.  The good news is there was nothing there.  They did some biopsies but really, there were no tumors and it looks like my Celiac's is being well-controled.  That's all good news.  Had lots of friends and family checking on me yesterday.  Not gonna lie, it feels nice to be remembered.  Chris did a great job of taking care of me...and thoroughly enjoying post-anastetia Robin.  Mom did her usual amazing job of entertaining the kids.  There are still some questions but at least this rules out a good many things.  

5.  Rooted in thankfulness - We headed to the grocery store after mom and dad left.  The kids are good grocery shoppers.  Most of the time.  They know I will buy them fruit snacks at the end if they behave.  And, apparently, fruit snacks are a big motivation.  In the car on the way home, as Aubrey Kate was enjoying her treat of fruit snacks, she started asking about what other treats she could have. What treats did we have at home?  When could she get some more stickers?  What about another sugar cookie?  I just wish I could have a treat every day.  I just wish I could have new stickers every day.  

And, honestly, my heart just broke.  Not because I can't afford to buy her a treat everyday or a new pack of stickers everyday but because she doesn't slow down enough to be grateful the treat in her hand.  Instead, she rushes right past it looking for the NEXT treat.  I interrupted her "I wish" monologue to say, "You know what I wish, baby girl?  I wish you would be thankful for all the treats you've gotten just this week.  Let's list them and be thankful for those, okay?"  And then we listed them.  And it was a lot.  

That doesn't sound like something to be grateful for.  A spoiled little girl who is wishing away her days.  But I am.  Because I know most of us come wired to be that way.  Most of us come into the world feeling like we need more.  And, just like a four-year old, we seek to fill the need with treats and toys and more stuff.  

I am grateful for a life changed.  For a Savior who feels those needs.  Our provider.  Our comforter.  I am grateful He pursued me and released me from a life of seeking the next treat.  

And I know one day, He'll change my daughter's life.  His Spirit will fill her and at that moment, all the teaching we have done, all the bible stories we've read, all the times I allowed Christ to speak to her through me...all that will come together and she will see her fruit snacks and her stickers and her entire life as sweet blessings.  

Chris and I will continue to live a life "rooted in thankfulness" and rest in the knowledge that someday, our Father will seek and save that which is lost in our family...our children.  What a day of rejoicing that will be!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! We enjoyed the time spent playing with the children! Can't get enough of that.Love you all.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete