Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A "Berry" Happy Birthday...

Let me just start with an apology and some instructions.

A quick look at the calendar and it tells you, me and everyone who can read that this post is super-de-duper OVERDUE.  Y'all.  It's the end of April.  The party was 19 days ago.  Over half a month.  

Please accept me very sincere apologies.  

There are some good excuses.  Pictures and an explanation will be coming forthwith.  

And you're welcome for the use of the word, "Forthwith."

As for instructions, I need you to know I took zero pictures of this precious fourth birthday celebration.

Because I am and will continue to be Mother of the Year.  

My instructions, therefore, involve you, me and everyone who can read sending my unsuspecting photographers GIFTS.  Like presents.  With big bows.  And super sappy cards.  

And true confession, I have never taken a single picture at ANY of my children's birthday celebrations.  

Instead, I have replied upon pictures from others who had no idea I was trusting them with the entirety of our photographic memories of said celebration.  NO IDEA.

I feel like when someone says to you...

"Hey, so unless you take all these pictures of all these things I have on my mental list, which BY THE WAY, you can't see unless you use your powers of mind reading, it will be like this celebration never happened and is that really what you want to give a four year old for her birthday?  No party?' 

...THEN you get after it and do the best you can to take a picture of every stinkin' thing that might just possibly be on that mental list no one's ever seen.

But when you don't say that to someone and they're just taking pictures for themselves of things they find interesting and not, say, every bloomin' detail, then you get what you asked for.

Which is nothing.

So truly, the fact we got some precious shots of our little four year old and her celebration is nothing short of miraculous.  And, despite having no direction from me, they managed to capture ADORABLENESS like I've never seen.  Certainly, far better than I could ever do.  

And they had NO Only In My Mind List.  

So gifts.  Lots and lots of gifts.  Soon.  

Before we just jump in all willy-nilly like, let's review some of the ADORABLENESS from the previous birthday celebrations.  

Because I want to and it's my blog.  

The first year's winner was by my precious friend, Jennifer.  Who took this:


Still.gets.me.

And that's why she has a wildly successful photography business.

Then for the two year birthday...which we threw in with the whole graduating with the doctorate degree thing...my fabulous SIL took this:


Look at that face!!  How precious was that sweetness?!?! (Obviously not my face.  All eight months pregnant of it.)

Then for three, we went HOME to Alabama and celebrated in God's Country...Auburn.  My other SIL, who really could AB.SO.LUTELY start her own photography business and KILL IT, took this amazing gem:


THAT is the face of JOY, y'all.  Joy over strawberry cupcakes.  Which is the purest form of joy.

This year, the precious factor was upped by the rosy cheeks and a fluffy tutu that matched.  

The weather was also a guest at the party.  It was cloudy.  And Oklahoma showed up.  Like she knew we are true adopted Okies and just living here in Texas as pure outcasts.  So Oklahoma BLEW her way into our little celebration.  We didn't invite her but, Oklahoma, you are welcome here anytime, girl.

So here's our pre-party photo opt:





Then here comes the party.


That's Grandmother Evans' sheet as the table cloth.  It is so sweet and fit the theme perfectly.  


The wind was so strong, we had to tie down the table cloth with ribbon.  It was cute but it was functional before decorative.  And it barely kept the table cloth down.  
Oklahoma...she's serious.


Waiting on cupcakes!  Next to AK are her friends, Lanie and Christine.  Both girls we met at the gym.  How cute are they?


Gwyneth and her little brother, Wyatt, poking holes in the table cloth.  
Because WHOA this is FUN.


Jack and baby brother, Kyle.  Our treasured friends from our last church.  Jack is five weeks younger than AK and Kyle is three weeks younger than Rhys.  Mom, Cindy, and I were pregnant together but she was way prettier and, I think, liked it better than I did.  She handled it better, for sure.  Same is true for motherhood.  She is so calm and sweet.  I'm all CRAZY and busy NOT TAKING PICTURES at my children's birthday parties.


If I could pull it off, I would label this picture as TOATS McGOATS.  But I can't so let's just go with OH MY HEART!  


So remember when I mentioned the rosy cheeks?  Yeah.  That.


My dad took this picture.  Bless her.  She's so gorgeous.  I hope she will believe that.  
For forever.


In case you can't tell, the above is a picture of the parents actually holding down their children's plates so Oklahoma wouldn't blow their food away.  A few plates escaped but mostly the parent's did a great job of holding until the kids ate three whole bites.  Then they all ate standing up and trying not to get knocked over by the wind.

Oklahoma, you're awesome, girl.


Behind AK is her first boyfriend, Beau.  He's the sweet little guy she used to spend two days a week with when I was still working.  He is THE BEST.  Really.  He treats her like a doll.  And they play so well together.  No drama.  No tattle-telling.  Just lots and lots of giggling and running and PLAY.  



I know.  I already did this picture but really, that rosiness deserves another look.  We didn't light the "4" candle because WHAT WAS THE POINT?  The gas lighter wouldn't even stay lit.  But don't worry, Internet, we made up for it at home where we lit the candle and blew it out.  Twice.  Because once is never enough.

And there you have it.  A Berry Happy Fourth Birthday!  Pretty sure she loved every minute of her first REAL birthday party.  The grandparents and aunts and uncles spoiled her rotten with presents.  I'll post those pictures someday.  Maybe in another three weeks.  

Because who wants to mess with that kind of record.

No comments:

Post a Comment